Sunday, November 8, 2009

Catch up. Ketchup. HelL.A.!

How Day 1 ended: Well... hmmm. Wednesday night we played at L.A.'s underground "Bootleg Theater" which is a very cool place to see a show. Unfortunately the night's schedule was errr... rearranged in such a way that there were not a whole lot of people around to see our set by the time we got on. The good news is that one of those people was Michel Gondry. We hoped you enjoyed yourself good sir and thank you for extending more courtesy than some of the other creative types at the show.


Day 2: Day off. Hooray! Shawn the tyrant of health and humanity tied us up and dragged us down La Cienega to a VEGAN restaurant... meat eaters were terrified. Actually the food was incredible. They boasted some of the best nachos any of us had ever had, featuring Cashew based "Cheese" with Jalepenos. Quality. After that we made a trip over to Amoeba Records. If you've never been I won't tell you much other than that its... prrrreeetty big. I'll be living in L.A. now since I had to pawn my plane ticket home as well as everything I own just to buy what I found from there. In actuality I went home with Vinyl: Graceland by Paul Simon, Repeater by Fugazi, Expectations by Keith Jarett, and Horses In The Sky by Silver Mt. Zion plus The Lemon Of Pink by The Books on CD. Shawn Setaro got some of the worlds finest Soul/R+B including Otis Redding, Jimmy Scott and Eddie Hazel. Penny found just about every John Zorn record that he didn't already have. Chad showed restraint and bought only one Leadbelly/ Blind Willie McTell compilation (he was saving up for PBR). After Amoeba, bone gunn will never be the same. Later that night Chad got upset because we weren't taking poker seriously enough and he ended up touring the errr... specialty bars of West Hollywood and gaining some cultural knowledge and experience which he will never forget.


Day 3: Off again. Tough life. We parted ways, some went to Santa Monica Pier and Venice Beach while I went to Malibu to visit my Uncle. All I know about everyone else's adventure is that they spent what sounds like must have been an hour trying to explain to a bar tender what bone gunn sounds like. To no avail clearly since all he came up with was "Failure" who we sound absolutely nothing like. I also had the joy of explaining (more like misleading) to some wealthy people what a bone gunn is. Much to love to my Malibu family who stuffed me full of amazing food, tequila and red wine.

Day 4: Small gig in Long Beach... very disorganized. I think there was something like four or five shows booked in the same place at the same time. So we all played at once. SERIOUSLY (sarcastically). It was fun enough though. Apparently it got broken up by police immediately after we left. Rest in peace Bryan's hat, which was accidentally left behind in the mess.

Note to all: Do not play Anthony Dugo in poker unless you can distract him with American Idol tryouts on the TV.

[EDIT: I forgot to mention that I also invented a dance move at the show called the "Floor Spin Into Break Your Ass Somersault Attempt At Making Cute Girl Laugh" ... the bruise is pretty nice... I think she laughed though.]

... and that should bring us up to right about... now. Club Dragonfly with The Spazmatics tonight at 8:30 PM. See you and/or your L.A. friends there.


No comments:

Post a Comment